The hydroelectric plants represents for 85% of the installed capacity of the Brazilian interconnected system. The remaining 15% correspond to thermal plants and it is estimated that in 2015, the hydroelectric plants are responsible for approximately 75% of electricity in Brazil. But for projects of infrastructure and energy generation of the environmental impact is something that worries the most, which leads to processes to mitigate these impacts and studies showing the implementation. The process of environmental licensing of hydroelectric projects in Brazil is considered a major obstacle to the expansion of generation capacity of power occurs in a predictable and within a reasonable time, it is very bureaucratic and expensive. In addition, the Clean Development Mechanism aims to facilitate the development of projects to generate energy through the insertion of carbon credits, but the CDM aims to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases and in some way to minimize environmental impacts caused by the project, and to be entitled to credit is necessary for the project pass through another process divided into several stages of approval in order to verify the reduction and mitigation of impacts. Both processes require time and cost to the approval and validation of the project. Thus the objective of this study is to identify the cost and time required for the licensing of projects on Central Hydroelectric Small today in Brazil that are capable of generating carbon credits, and do a risk analysis arising from delays in the process of environmental licensing and CDM within an enterprise.

As usinas hidrelétricas representam 85% da capacidade instalada do sistema interligado brasileiro. Os 15% restantes correspondem a plantas termelétricas e estima-se que em 2015, as UHEs serão responsáveis por aproximadamente 75% da eletricidade no Brasil. Porém para projetos de infra-estrutura e geração de energia o impacto ambiental é um aspecto que preocupa a muitos, o que acarreta em processos para a mitigação desses impactos e estudos que comprovem as sua aplicação. O Processo de licenciamento ambiental de projetos hidrelétricos no Brasil é considerado como um grande obstáculo para que a expansão da capacidade de geração de energia elétrica ocorra de forma previsível e dentro de prazos razoáveis, pois é bastante burocrático e oneroso. Por outro lado, o Mecanismo de Desenvolvimento Limpo tem como objetivo facilitar a viabilização de projetos de geração de energia através da inserção de créditos de carbono, porém o MDL visa a redução das emissões de gases de efeito estufa e de alguma forma a minimização dos impactos ambientais causados pelo projeto, e para se ter direito ao crédito é necessário que o projeto passe por outro processo dividido por várias fases de aprovação, a fim de comprovar a redução e a mitigação dos impactos. Os dois processos demandam custo e tempo até a aprovação e validação do projeto. Sendo assim, o objetivo desse trabalho é identificar a relação de custo e tempo necessários para o licenciamento de projetos de PCH hoje no Brasil que são capazes de gerar créditos de carbono, e fazer uma análise de risco decorrentes dos atrasos nos processos de licenciamento ambiental e MDL dentro de um empreendimento.